about us
case studies

greening case studies


Starting up in business - Registering as a sole trader

What is a sole trader? It simply means being self-employed. Being a sole trader business involves some personal financial risk. Sole traders must pay their debts if their business fails. If you’re thinking of starting up a low-cost business (ie one that is unlikely by its nature to build up big debts), you probably needn’t worry too much.

However, if you’re likely to build up significant business debts, it might be more advisable to have the personal financial protection offered by forming a limited company (ie 'incorporation').

Advantages of being a sole trader

Setting up and running a limited company requires more administrative effort than being a sole trader, plus you (or your agent) must register your new company at Companies House. Setting up a sole trader is quick, easy and involves no cost, while preparing sole trader accounts can be simpler. Sole traders can employ people and become a limited company (‘incorporate’) later on, should they wish.

Although anyone can become a sole trader, you might need a licence or permit from your local authority for the type of business you plan to set up. Seek advice if you’re unsure.

Register as a sole trader

You must let HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC) know you have become a sole trader/self-employed as soon as possible – otherwise you could be fined £100 for not registering your sole trader business.

The easiest way is to call the HMRC ‘Helpline for the Newly Self-Employed’ on 0845 915 4515. The operator will ask you: your name; date of birth; address; telephone number; National Insurance number; start date; name and type of business; and whether you’re a sole trader or working with a partner. The process is quick and easy if you have the information to hand.

Alternatively, you can register online or download and complete the HMRC form ‘Becoming self-employed and registering for National Insurance contributions and/or tax’. It will then need to be sent to the National Insurance Contributions Office.

Sole trader tax and NI

As a sole trader business, you pay income tax on any business profits. You (or your accountant) must fill in a self-assessment tax return each year, detailing your income and expenses.

You'll also have to make flat-rate Class 2 National Insurance contributions (NICs) throughout the year (£2.50 a month payable every six months). Setting up a direct debit can make payment more convenient.

If your annual profits exceed £7,225, you’ll also have to pay Class 4 NICs (9 per cent on profits up to £42,475; 11 per cent on annual profits above this figure). You pay this with your income tax and the figure is calculated from your self-assessment tax return. You must keep detailed financial records for your business, as well as proof of any expenses (eg receipts, invoices, utility bills, etc). Both will be invaluable when it’s time to fill in your tax returns each year.

If, as a sole trader business, you employ people, you must collect income tax and NICs from them and pay these to HMRC. You’ll need to operate a PAYE (Pay As You Earn) payroll scheme, too. If you expect to turn over more than £73,000 a year, you must register for VAT, charge it to your customers and pay it to HMRC. If you are VAT-registered, you can reclaim the VAT you pay to your suppliers.

For more articles on starting up in business, visit the Start Up Donut